Sunday 23 November 2008

SWOT Analysis

Strengths
I think one of my strengths throughout this project is my use of materials, although in some cases the objects I've made look fairly good without any, while other objects such as the ice hockey puck, plane and beach ball needed them. My materials are fairly minimalistic and yet work well.
My other strengh is that I have been able to create simple but effective scenes for all three of the images I have been working on.

Weaknesses
One of my weaknesses is, strangely enough, to do with materials. In some cases I have had trouble applying materials properly, however this was before discovering UVW map settings. I still have trouble with certain other materials, e.g. realistic sand because all I end up getting is one or two colours rather than the image I applied.
Another weakness is that I tend to spend too much time on one object at a time, with prime examples being the Autumn tree for October and the airplane for August.
Also, I have had difficulties working with lighting and shadows, which is a combination of the overall structure of the images and the ways I have used the lights.

Opportunities
Coming up next Semester is an animation assignment for this module which will probably still require 3D modelling. The fact that I have been able to learn the basics of creating 3D objects will prove helpful when it comes to this next assignment. Also next Semester, I have another project to work on not relating to this module that may require at least one thing in 3D.
Also in coming years I may have to do another module that involves 3D Modelling, for example Virtual Environments.

Threats
My biggest threat regarding this project is that I have been using a newer version of 3DS Max to create my models at home, and for some reason this makes the files incompatible with the older version of the program that the University uses.
Also, by the end of Week 12 of this Semester there are more assignments to be handed in, so some time has to be split between this project as well as those ones.

No comments: