Saturday 8 November 2008

December - Progress so far

Since I haven't had the chance to upload any renders other than my puck and tree, I will do so now instead.

Basically for December, I'm creating a simple, stereotypical Christmas scene that includes a snowman, a Christmas tree, and presents.



This is the snowman. He was mostly put together using spheres, a torus for the scarf (with one bit extruded), and a geosphere (cut in half) for his hat.

Next we have a Christmas tree:



The above snapshot shows what the tree looks like before rendering. It was fairly simple to make: the trunk is just a cone shape, the baubles are made from a sphere that had a bit at the top extruded, and was cloned several times, and the star was made from a cylinder with 10 sides, with each side being moved to form a star shape.
The main part of the tree, with needles, was made by creating a helix and adjusting the settings, then creating a circle, using a loft modifier to make it follow the helix as a path, creating a solid helix for me to work with. Finally, I used the hair and fur modifier to make the needles.

Here is the tree after rendering:



And finally (so far), we have the single most important thing, as in what Christmas is all about: the presents!



This was a much easier shape to make, as all I did was make a box, add some patterns that I made in Photoshop for the wrapping, and added a torus knot to act as the ribbon.

These objects have all been placed into a scene, which at the moment looks something like this:



As with my October image, the background is a desktop wallpaper that I made in Photoshop a few months ago, and again I put it in just to see what it looked like. I may need to create one more object to fill in the empty gap on the right hand side, or move the camera around if I run out of time.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Your christmas tree looks really good mate nice job!