Sunday 5 October 2008

My Favourite Cartoon Character

I was originally hoping to get this entry up first, but because I arrived late for the first tutorial, I didn’t have enough time to get it done. So now, here it is. And as I don’t really have a favourite cartoon character, I’m going to talk about my favourite videogame character instead.



This is Mario, Nintendo’s mascot, better known to many as Super Mario. He first appeared in the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong where he was originally known as Jumpman, but after the discovery that he bore a comical resemblance to Mario Segali, Nintendo of America’s landlord, they named the character Mario instead.

Since then, Mario, and his lesser known brother Luigi, have been depicted as Italian plumbers who live in a world known as the Mushroom Kingdom, going on many adventures to rescue Princess Peach from the clutches of the evil King Bowser, a turtle-like dragon monster. The Mario series has been highly successful over the years, and has since spawned many spin offs, cartoon series (so I guess he does sort of count), as well as a very poor live action film where he was portrayed by, of all people, Bob Hoskins.

No comments: