Tuesday 5 May 2009

Final Idents

And now, I present to you the final three idents. I will also explain the changes I made to each one, except for the rather obvious inclusion of sound.

SRTV Ident 1 - Ton Weight


Ident 1 now has a background, a detailed grass texture (because hair and fur for grass takes way too long to render), omni lights and some shadows. The camera angle has also been changed, and the camera at one point has been animated so that it moves up and down quickly, so that you can really feel the *THUD!* as the SRTV branded ton weight hits the ground.


SRTV Ident 2 - Curry


The camera angle hasn't been changed much, but you can now see flames coming out of the curry before and after Ste sips the bowl, which hopefully makes it easier to tell that it's super hot. A window replaces the purple rectangle that was there previously, and the wall has also been decorated with wallpaper, replacing the yellow that was there previously. No lightning was included as it didn't work as I wanted it to, although a familiar looking holiday photo has been placed on the table... and for some reason, I also used wood materials for the window and photo frames, which probably can’t be seen too well in the actual video, so it took longer to render than it needed to.


SRTV Ident 3 - Space Shuttle


No major changes here, although the angle of the shuttle was changed in places to make its flight look and feel more natural, as previously it felt more like it was sliding along a surface. In both this and the original version, there is also an omni light. Initially I didn’t think I would need it, but without it Ste, the shuttle and the SRTV logo become invisible near the end of the ident.

And last of all, for those of you who want a better look at the holiday photo in Ident 2, here it is, complete with a photo frame:



It's basically just my August scene from last Semester, with the beach ball moved and Ste added, happily waving at the camera. I've always liked seeing these Easter Eggs in things, as they're always a nice touch, so I decided to add my own. It does seem kind of fitting that I made it into a holiday photo, especially since summer will be on its way soon.

So what did I think of this Module overall? I actually, surprisingly, thoroughly enjoyed 3D Modelling and Animation. I had my initial fears that I wasn’t going to be very good at it at all, especially at animating, but as it turned out I had a lot of fun with it, and my work came out better than expected, despite my modelling and animation techniques being very simple compared to that of other students’ work that I have seen.

Actually, this will probably be the only academic assignment of any kind that I will miss doing. It’s been a good run, and using a blog has been an interesting way of documenting my work as well, and it’s a much more relaxed approach compared to the essays and reports of other assignments. Although I think the most fun I had was seeing Ste, a personal mascot of sorts I have previously drawn on paper, come to life.

Will this blog ever live again? Who knows… but I hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed making the stuff that has been put into it!

No comments: